- Price Guarantee
- Single red beam operates at 650nm.
- The Howie Glatter Laser Collimator incorporates a solid state laser diode that does not fade or change with time and use.
- Factory-aligned to 15 arc-seconds providing 0.1 inch accuracy at a distance of 20 feet,
- The Howie Glatter 2"/1.25" Laser Collimator is shock resistant to keep its alignment - even when dropped.
- Includes 123A lithium battery, 1mm aperture stop, and protective case.
When I started manufacturing laser collimators I realized that in order to produce consistent and accurate results they must be highly resistant to mechanical shock, so that internal laser alignment is maintained. I experimented with this aspect of collimator construction and developed a design which tremendously increased shock resistance. After aligning the laser within 15 arc seconds, I shock test each collimator by whacking it against a block of urethane plastic (urethane prevents marring), striking it at least a dozen times on three axis. I then recheck the laser alignment, and if it has not changed the collimator passes. I believe this is the most important difference setting my collimator apart from all others I know of. They will withstand a shock equivalent to dropping from eyepiece position, up the ladder on a big Dob, without alteration of laser alignment.
The beam from all red diode lasers used in collimators is fuzzy-edged and elliptical in cross-section. When collimating, you sometimes must judge the location of the center of the spot by eye. To improve collimating precision, all of my collimators (except 532nm) are supplied with a removable accessory plastic aperture stop having a 1mm hole, which push-fits into the laser aperture. It produces a tiny, circular beam impact which allows more accurate alignment. With the holographic collimators, it is not used at the same time as the holographic feature, and the diffractor must be removed to install the stop. With the stop inserted the beam impact at a distance of one meter or more looks like a star diffraction pattern, with a central dot surrounded by diffraction rings. The surrounding rings can help in centering the beam very accurately.
I offer the red holographic collimators with a choice of either 650 nanometer or 635nm wavelength. The two lasers have the same radiometric power output, but because the human eye's sensitivity to the shorter wavelength is greater, the 635nm. laser appears about two or three times brighter. The higher cost of 635nm laser diodes increases the collimator price, but it enables holographic collimation in brighter ambient light. If you intend to collimate in early twilight, it is a good choice. In darkness, however, the 650nm laser is quite adequate. Because single beam collimators concentrate all the laser light in the central beam, the 650nm laser is quite adequate for them."
Precise... Accurate... and Durable... What more could you ask?
Laser Collimating Instructions
|Other Info||Holagraphic and 1mm aperture stop thread: 5/16-56|
We work very hard to ensure that we offer the absolute best prices online. If you find another online store that offers a lower price then us within six months of your purchase date please let us know and we will refund your original payment for the difference. We want you to feel confident that you are getting the absolute best price for the product you are ordering. If you find that our own website has a lower price for the same item you have ordered within six months of your purchase date will refund the difference as well.
To request your partial refund simply e-mail us a link to the same product on our website, or on our competitors website within six months from the date of your order and we will process the credit accordingly.
Our 100% Price Guarantee has some limitations:
- You must purchase the item from our website before requesting your Price Match Guarantee
- Promotions such as rebates and buy one, get one free offers are not eligible
- The item must be in stock on the competitors website
- The competitor must be an online store, they may not have a retail location
- The website can not be a discounter or auction website (ie; eBay, overstock, etc..)
- The competitor must be an Authorized Retailer of the product in question
- The Price Match Guarantee includes the item price and the shipping charges, it excludes sales tax
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.