- Price Guarantee
The Explore Scientific ED102 Essential Series Air-Spaced Triplet Refractor Telescope is a true apochromat refractor that reveals our Moon’s stark chiseled craters, Jupiter’s orderly cloud belts and the blue-white stars of the Orion Nebula popping against the complex misty cloud they call home. The ED102 Essential Series Apochromatic Refractor will open up a treasure trove of night sky treats, and provide a solid optical platform to begin serious deep sky astrophotography.
A nice compromise between portability and aperture, this versatile high-end telescope offers true diffraction-limited optics and has an objective lens size that performs well in lunar, planetary and deep sky viewing situations.
Featuring an air-spaced triplet optical design that virtually eliminates chromatic aberrations, this telescope generates brilliant high-contrast images by combining genuine HOYA FCD1 extra-low dispersion (ED) glass and proprietary EMD enhanced multi-layer coatings.
Explore Scientific uses ED (Extra-low Dispersion) FCD1 (Dense Fluor Crown) glass developed and manufactured by Hoya Optical of Japan. Using the right glass with the appropriate properties enables the production of lenses that offer superior sharpness and color correction.
Deluxe Two-Speed Focuser
Explore Scientific has included on all ED Series, a two-speed Crayford-style precision focuser with tension adjustment and lock to obtain and hold perfect focus.
EMD (Enhanced Multi-layer Deposition) Coatings eliminates light scatter and maintains high image contrast. This proprietary coating is applied to all Explore Scientific lenses in multiple layers for added durability. Contrast is further enhanced by the installation of multiple baffles in the optical tube that mask and deflect unwanted stray light.
Explore Scientific ES- ED10207-01 Features
- Explore Scientific Air-Spaced Apochromatic Triplets have true APO optic and are diffraction limited at .25PV or better.
- Genuine ED glass from Hoya Japan is used on all ED APO Triplets at Explore, for superb quality and light throughput.
- To attach your Explore Scientific Air-Spaced Triplet telescope to a variety of mounts, a "Vixen-style" dovetail is included. The "Vixen-style" plate fits mounts made by Explore, Meade, Celestron, Vixen & others.
- Enhanced Multi-Layer Coatings (EMD) are deposited on optical elements to boost contrast and eliminate light scatter; and contrast is further enhanced with the installation of matte black knife-edge baffles in the optical tube assembly.
- While refractors seldom require additional collimation after initial factory adjustment, the lens cell design allows for consumer collimation. Sending your ED102 Triplet off to the factory is always an option, but is not required.
- 102mm models come with a heavy-duty 2" dual-speed rotatable focuser, including 2 draw tube extensions.
- The Explore ED102 Essential Edition telescope comes with a white aluminum tube with black accents.
- Item Number ES-ED10207–01
- Focal Length 714mm
- Focal Ratio f/7
- Limiting Magnitude 12.5
- Resolution 1.14 arcsec
- Tube Length w/ Dew Shield 30.5"; 774mm
- Tube Length w/out Dew Shield 23.75"; 603mm
- Diameter 119mm
- Weight 9.6 lb; 4.4 kg
- Dovetail Vixen
Limited Warranty is one year, which converts to the Explore STAR Transferable Extended Life of the Product Warranty when product is registered within 60 days of purchase. Click Here to register.
We work very hard to ensure that we offer the absolute best prices online. If you find another online store that offers a lower price then us within six months of your purchase date please let us know and we will refund your original payment for the difference. We want you to feel confident that you are getting the absolute best price for the product you are ordering. If you find that our own website has a lower price for the same item you have ordered within six months of your purchase date will refund the difference as well.
To request your partial refund simply e-mail us a link to the same product on our website, or on our competitors website within six months from the date of your order and we will process the credit accordingly.
Our 100% Price Guarantee has some limitations:
- You must purchase the item from our website before requesting your Price Match Guarantee
- Promotions such as rebates and buy one, get one free offers are not eligible
- The item must be in stock on the competitors website
- The competitor must be an online store, they may not have a retail location
- The website can not be a discounter or auction website (ie; eBay, overstock, etc..)
- The competitor must be an Authorized Retailer of the product in question
- The Price Match Guarantee includes the item price and the shipping charges, it excludes sales tax
Order Confirmation As soon as you place your order you will receive an order confirmation e-mail. This means that we have received your order in our system and pre-authorized your credit card for the purchase. As soon as we receive your order we automatically reach out to our suppliers to confirm that it is in stock and available for immediate shipment. If your item is on backorder or unavailable we will void the pre-authorization and reach out to you via e-mail. If your item(s) are available for immediate shipment (within 5 business days) we will process the charges and submit the order for shipment.
Order Shipment If your order is received, the inventory is in stock and your credit card information matches the information, In most cases, we can ship within 5 business days. We will send you tracking information within 24 hours of your order leaving the warehouse to the e-mail address your provide when checking out. If you do not receive tracking information from us within six business days of your order please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Miscellaneous Shipping Information
- We cannot ship to PO boxes.
- Non-standard shipping surcharges will apply to isolated service areas, such as remote areas, areas not readily accessible by a delivery vehicle, islands, Hawaii & Alaska etc., as defined by the shipper. These circumstances occur less than 1% of the time.
You can estimate the deliver time to your home or business by viewing the "Ships Within" information listed with every product. This refers to the time from when you place your order, to the time it leaves the warehouse. The total delivery time for your order is calculated from the time your order is placed, until you receive it. The diagram below shows how the total delivery time is broken down into pre-ship processing time and shipping time.
Processing time is the time it takes from when you submit your order to when the product leaves the warehouse. The "Ships Within" time frame listed with each of our products on the website applies to this time frame. For example, if your order a product that reads "Ships Within: 2 Weeks", this means that the product typically leaves the factory within two weeks. If there will be any additional time required to process your order, we will notify you immediately to confirm the delivery period. This time is needed for products that are shipped to you directly from our manufacturers. The manufacturers need this time to fulfill your order. In some cases, the items are custom built. Shipping time is measured when your order leaves the warehouse to when it arrives at your address. Actual shipping time can vary between 2-5 business days. Contact our helpful customer service experts at (888-264-2244) for more information.
Did your shipment arrive damaged or defective?
Please report damaged or defective merchandise to us immediately by email phone. Photos of the items and the packaging would be greatly appreciated. This will speed up our resolution process. We strongly recommend at the time of delivery, if your notice any cartons that look dented, crushed or just not right, open them immediately and inspect the contents. If the contents appear to be damaged, please notate it on the delivery ticket, refuse that item only and contact us as soon as possible for instructions.
Brands/Products that do NOT qualify for our 30 Day Return Policy:
APM products do not qualify for our 30 day return policy.
Additionally, items that are special ordered, customized, or engraved - cannot be returned or refunded under our 30 day return policy.
If your engraved item needs to be repaired within 30 days of purchase, please reach out to us and we will have the product repaired or replaced, re-engrave if necessary, and return it to you in new condition.
I purchased this scope but upgraded the stock focuser to a 3" Feathertouch and now I have an astrophotography machine. Pair it with the ES 0.7x reducer/flattener for fast f/5.2 imaging at 666mm, or use the HoTech SCA Flattener for a flat field when imaging at the native 952mm. Highly versatile scope with excellent optics — I get very sharp stars with either of the above combos. My only gripe is that both the ES 0.7x reducer/flattener and the HoTech SCA Flattener both end in M42 connections. Both companies should update these products to feature M48 or even M54 connections, which are much more compatible with full frame systems without vignetting. Personally, I'm using an APS-C sized sensor so it doesn't affect me.
Optically amazing. You will not find better glass with this aperture at this price point. I am exceptionally pleased with making this purchase and would do so again in a heartbeat. There are a couple minor nits to pick, but every product has them, so I don't believe it's worthwhile to dock stars for them.
- 102mm of aperture!
- Outstanding optics. Pinpoint sharp stars. Sharpest scope I own, now.
- Excellent resolution (~1.14 Dawes limit).
- f/5.6 with a 0.8x reducer (compatible with a number of different reducer/flattener brands)
- Light weight.
- Includes all the backfocus spacers you'll need.
- The carry handle is annoying for attaching peripherals, but not excessively so.
- Focuser is quite smooth except at a small pinch point every full rotation, but it's only noticeable when using the gross adjustment knob. I didn't notice the same issue using the fine adjustment knob.
- My copy arrived with a small dent in the dew shield. It is unclear whether the damage was missed by QA or occurred in transit, but the package was not in the greatest shape when it arrived so I'm assuming the latter. Regardless, the damage is cosmetic-only and did not affect collimation or performance of the OTA.
I don't know what kept me from buying the ED102 other then stubbornness. It turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made. The resolution is absolutely wonderful and the construction is flawless. A real precision instrument there is absolutely no CA and views are near perfection.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.